Monday, May 30, 2011

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

   Okay, so first off I want to say that I am not one of those zombie fanatics. I don't dress up like them.  I don't secretly wish that a zombie apocalypse will occur. I am not storing up weapons for when the zombies come. Honestly, I think these people are weird and they need serious mental therapy. The truth is that I am terrified of zombies. When I was fourteen, I had a panic attack when I forced to watch Resident Evil. I mean I was crying. Of course then I was afraid when I saw Scooby Doo on Zombie Island. At least with vampires and werewolves, there is an internal struggle. You can see the tortured person within them. But not zombies. . They don't get to choose evil or good. They just eat brains.
     However, I decided that I would give Pride and Prejudice and Zombies a try. I really enjoyed the original book by Jane Austin. And I thought this might be pretty cool. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Basically Seth Grahme-Smith, who also wrote Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, took the original novel added his own scenes and created alternate explanations for the behaviors of the characters. It was very amusing for me to imagine Elizabeth Bennet and her sisters killing zombies. It was truly amazing. A lot of the dialogue was changed slightly for example. However, the characters do remain mostly the same. For example, even though England is plagued with zombies and death, Mrs. Bennet only concern is that her daughters put away all of their "silly fighting and find husbands". In the original novel, Lady Catherine de Bourgh inquires if the Bennets had a governess. She replies that they did not. Lady de Bourgh exclaims "Five girls and no governess!". In this book, she exclaims" Five girls and no ninja". Yes, this book had ninjas too. It was fantastic. I recommend it to any one. Although you will need to have read the original novel in order for this book to mean anything to you. There is suppose to be a movie coming out soon. I can't wait.


Stupid Zombie movies. These movies used to keep me up at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment