Sunday, September 14, 2014

Robert's Reads Summer 2014

So, I am a little behind on my blog, but here is the Summer 2014 edition of Robert's Reads.



    Although, I do not always agree on the theology of MacArthur nor did I agree with everything he wrote in this book. However, this book is a must read for evangelical Christians. MacArthur presents several years worth of research on the charismatic movement. This book is a shocking and terrifying read on the prominent people and theologies of the charismatic movement. I have been emotionally and spiritually hurt by charismatics who told me that I was not following the will of God if I did not speak in tongues or see visions. I personally do not believe that. I see no scriptural evidence where God only speaks to people in one particular way. In fact  in the Bible you see God speak through a burning bush, a donkey, dreams, a blinding light, and moved people to compassion by working on their heart. 
     MacArthur shows how dangerous the views charismatics have such as their false prophecy (which they admit is often in error) are affecting the cause of Christ. The message of Christ has been perverted by people like Oral Roberts, Joel Olsteen, and Benny Hinn. I highly recommend this to people who are interested in theology or want to see how these charismatics are committing counterfeit worship. 


Those who know anything about know that I do love the works of Tolkien. I enjoy reading fantasy stories. So, when I heard that Christopher Tolkien (J.R.R.'s son) was coming out with a translation of Beowulf that his father had done along with a commentary based on his father's lectures, I immediately put my copy on hold. Tolkein was much more than just a fantasy writer. He was genius linguist that not only created his own language (Elvish) for the LOTR, but was a leading scholar in the study of Old English. He spent several years translating his own version of the epic poem, Beowulf; however he never published it. Many of the language related commentary went over my head. However, I enjoyed Tolkien's ideas on the poem as well as being provided with historical context. I would not be surprised if this book became a textbook for high school or college. This book is a must read for fanatics of Tolkien. It is also essential for scholars of Old English to read. 



   I am also a huge fan of Star Wars. George Lucas' original trilogy captured my imagination as a small child. In fact I know more about the Expanded Universe (which Disney has now killed. Thanks, Mickey) than the average joe. I was excited to hear that George Lucas' original script for Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope would be made into a into a graphic novel. I had heard that their were differences but was unclear on all the specifics. The original script was pretty much not filmable. It is full of secondary characters. The battles Lucas imagined would have not come to fruition with the technology in the 1970s. It is a good thing that this was story was significantly altered. Everything fans love was not in the original script. Anakkin Starkiller is the main character. He is trained in the way of the force by his father (who was a cyborg) and General Luke Skywalker. Darth Vader is not a cyborg Sith Lord, he is just a lackey for the emperor. The stormtroopers had lazerswords (you know them as lightsabers), which I suppose couldn't hurt their aim. R2D2 talks. The Sith Lord in the script is secretly a good guy. And Han Solo is a lizard. Although, it is not the best script, fans will see parts of this story that were later adapted for all six films. Any Star Wars will enjoy seeing these classic characters take on a significantly different role.

No comments:

Post a Comment